Mathematics - The story of my 2 attempts

 

In this post,  I will try to give a narrative of how I went about preparing for Mathematics across my 2 attempts at this exam. I will try to give as much perspective as I can recall. 

If any questions regarding my journey still remain unanswered kindly ask them in the comments section below, and I will try to answer them the best I can.


  • The Story of my 1st Attempt (CSE 2016) :  


    • About 2 months before the prelims, after which I totally focussed on prelims, I had solved the standard textbooks once for about 80% of the syllabus (not covered fluid, ring theory of algebra, numerical methods, frenet's formula, Laplace, boundary value problems and a few other residual topics).
    • Soon after prelims I realised that I was unable to recall the even the basic stuff and so I decided to prepare 5-6 notebooks containing various important problems (both from the text books and previous years compilations) and formulas. This took me around 2 months to complete, during which I totally focussed on Mathematics and read only newspaper for GS. 
      • (I had studied some GS for mains before prelims and had given 7-8 tests of Vision Mains GS test series before prelims including those of history, polity, geography and ethics)
    • Finally when 2 months were left for Mains-2016 I decided to dedicate half of my time to GS and Maths and studied accordingly till mains. My mathematics preparation in the final 2 months consisted of giving tests and revising topics through reading my notebooks, which resulted in me having revised each topic around 3-4 times before Mains.
    • I had also enrolled for a Mathematics test series but could complete around 12-13 out of total 18 tests, not one of which was attempted as per the schedule. Also in the days during the mains I did not practise any Mathematics problems, which I felt I should have done during my Mains.
    • Finally my marks in CSE 2016 were : 293 in Maths {137 + 156}, around 390s in GS and I managed to find my name in the final list.

  • The story of my 2nd attempt (CSE 2017) : 


    • After the results of CSE 2016 were announced there were around 20 days left for the prelims of CSE 2017, so I totally focussed on prelims in that period.
      • A major blunder on my part here was to not study mathematics between Mains and Interview of CSE 2016 (wherein I had a gap of nearly 5 months) and it is something which I would suggest everyone to work on and try to avoid at all costs.
    • Right after my prelims I decided to revise the standard textbooks and the notebooks I had made. Since a lot of labour was done in my previous attempt, this time I managed to complete the first revision of all the topics in around 1.5 months. After which I gave equal attention to both GS and mathematics.
    • I benefitted immensely from a compilation of previous years solutions which appeared in the shops of ORN by around August. This helped me to go through previous years questions of 4-5 topics quickly. I also managed to go through a few important chapters of Malik and Arora (Mathematical Analysis) for calculus and real analysis, which I had not done in my previous attempt.
    • In this attempt as well, I had enrolled for a Mathematics test series and tried to give tests as per the schedule (generally I managed to give them on time or at the very least with a little deviation of 1-2 days). Ultimately I ended up attempting all the tests before my Mains with the last test being given on the day preceding the compulsory language papers. This ensured I had maintained a decent flow of problem solving which helped me subsequently.
    • My notebooks were shortened with each revision wherein I marked the more relevant questions to revise in subsequent iterations. So much so, that I managed to revise the entire set of notebooks on the day preceding the exam, which had its impact by increasing my scores in this attempt.
    • Finally my marks in CSE 2017 were : 368 in Maths {165 + 203}, around 420s in GS 

Comments

  1. Sir what was your correct attempt of mathematics in CSE 2016 & CSE 2017 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CSE 2016 Attempts :
      Paper 1 - 200 to 210 (maybe even lower as I did not note down my answers), Paper 2 - 180 to 190

      CSE 2017 Attempts :
      Paper 1 - 205 to 210, Paper 2 - around 230

      Delete
  2. Sir may you please add something on selective readings of the standard textbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added sections on chapters to be read from the textbooks suggested. Check it out !

      Delete
  3. Sir, the compilation of Previous year paper solution is provided by which academy? Are you talking about DIPS academy booklet ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir how many hours did you dedicate for optionals before and after prelims .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not maintain an hourly schedule, just tried to complete my set goals for the day.

      Delete
  5. Do you suggest people to keep revising math even just a couple of months before prelims?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you should try to revise Maths as much as possible, just keep in mind your prelims preparation while doing that. And by revising I mean practising problems on pen and paper.

      Delete
  6. Sir I don't stay in Delhi from where can I get compilation of previous year answers booklet provided by dias academy.if y have soft copy of that could y please share.thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have the soft copy of the booklet. Maybe it is available on flavido, though I am not too sure about that. You can also try and contact 'Atul photostat' {just a coincidence :P} in ORN

      Delete
  7. Sir , how did you go about prelims prep in short period of time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mainly relied on giving as many tests as possible. Also I was prepared with my Current affairs by regular note-making from newspapers and reading monthly compilation booklet by VisionIAS.

      Delete
  8. How many questions questions did you attempt in Paper 1 and 2 and which ones?
    What did you do this year differently than last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refer to one of the comments above.
      Between the two attempts, there was no change in the sources referred. I had better grasp of things because of greater revision and was better prepared in modern algebra in my 2nd attempt. I also reduced my calculation mistakes this time significantly as compared to my first attempt where I suffered in my Paper 1.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maths paper 1 - Pointers + book list

Revision notes of Mathematics + Answer Copy

Maths paper 2 - Pointers + book list